This week we treated the 98 families we fed to a gourmet tasting prepared by our newest volunteer, Stephanie “Chefanie” Wright.
Stephanie is a nutrition-focused Ayurvedic chef, founder of The Wright Methods and former Chef de Cuisine of the Assemblage.
Here’s what Stephanie had to say about her experience at the Pantry –
“We had the privilege of sharing a taste of summer this week with a sampling of grilled peaches with mint. Peaches are coming into their prime this time of year and we wanted to show how to make the most of seasonal flavors in an interesting way by grilling up the sweet stone fruit with some cinnamon and mint. The cinnamon helps the body process and digest the natural sugars of the fruit to reduce potential insulin spikes that can be caused by eating sugars and the mint provides a fresh, cooling taste to balance the smokiness of the grill. You can try the grilled peaches out for yourself by following the recipe below:
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ripe peaches, halved and pitted and sliced into quarters
- 1 tablespoon ghee, divided
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place the sliced peaches into a large bowl and add the cinnamon to allow the spice to combine with the natural sugars of the peach
- Heat grill to high. Place a seasoned cast iron pan onto the grill and add a teaspoon of ghee for each peach that you are grilling.
- Grill each peach for up to a minute or until the peach starts turning golden brown
- Remove from heat to let cool and garnish with mint leaves and lime juice
“I had so much fun facilitating the grilled peaches tasting at the food bank yesterday! Thank you so much for allowing me to experiment and giving me a platform to share what I love to do”
We here at the Pantry are always looking for ways to continue to feed our community with dignity and respect. We hope that small touches like tablecloths and tastings will make it feel more like a farmers market than a food bank. Thank you, Chefanie, for helping us toward that goal!
Most needed items this week: dried beans (1 lb bags), size 6 diapers, canned fruit, adult diapers.
This week’s newsletter written mostly by Stephanie with a little Gretchen thrown in.